I cannot give too much information at this time because the initial stages of the invasion are still taking place and the information is not yet available to both players.
It is in campaign time around 6 am on 17th September 1940. The German player has given his initial assault orders. Parachute landings began five hours ago. Initial German seaborne landings are beginning.
As I create each battlefield I am sending both German and British players a “pre-war aerial photograph” published by the fictitious companies “Deutsche Luftfoto GmBH” and “Airograph Ltd”
Here are the first two:
Naturally by 1940 the defences may well look somewhat different, but this is the sort of information the Germans were relying on for their planning at the time.
I am indebted to Google Earth and to the publications “Adolf Hitler’s Holiday Snaps” and “Adolf Hitler’s Home Counties Holiday Snaps” to help fill the detail of the original battle maps provided by S-2 Shop Productions LLC, on which the campaign is based.
From my previous posts you see that I have built something to put the panzers in to get them across the channel. But those barges won’t move themselves, so what to do?
I found on Amazon these models at a very cheap price so I snapped up the last two.
My game is in 6mm (1:285/1:300) and these models claim to be 1:400, but with a little tweaking I have produced a slightly smaller steam tug about 26m in length. The crew will need to duck to enter the bridge, but no more so than with many of my model houses. My models wear their steel helmets mainly to avoid concussion from low doorways.
The kit is made of fewer than twenty pieces. I cut the hull down to the waterline, omitted some lights, moved the mast and replaced the funnel with one made of spare sprue with one end drilled. For added effect I scored planks into the deck.
Sorted. One done, one to go. And as a bonus I have two river boat kits to transport my ACW troops.
On second thoughts, I may be able to combine parts from the tug and the river boat to make a different design.
After a splash of paint, a dirty wash and the addition of fenders made from slices of paint brush protectors, they look half decent. I could not round off the rear ends properly because of the hollow moulding method.
The barge at the front is awaiting the arrival of some model railway pallets to give it a front door / ramp.
Not at all perfect (just like in 1940), but they will do for my purposes.
I have recently revised my approach to the Peninsular War e-mail campaign to try to engage the players a bit more.
Rather than insist they sit in their HQs awaiting reports of engagements they never saw, now whenever there is a contact on the master map between any more than scouts and messengers I will prepare a detailed game map of the 10 mile x 10 mile map square.
My copy is gridded in hexagons so that any part may be quickly copied to a wargame table or the Commands & Colors board as required. The player in residence or who has scouted the area will receive a tracing, gridded in 1 mile squares. The player entering the area will receive a tracing of the main roads and rivers, town and hilly areas. The players are then demoted to the position of the senior man on the spot and asked for orders.
Results of any ensuing conflict will not be known to the player until he receives the local commander’s report or reads about it in the newspapers.
Added to this activity I have (some might say foolishly) started up another campaign to umpire. Trying to get away from always playing Napoleonic games I resurrected my Operation Sealion campaign. I started to play this solo some time ago, but thought an opponent would be a good idea. Then I realised that there could be no secrecy, so I found a second player and I am now the umpire.
This campaign is run using a linked area system with 65 defined 6ft x 4ft tabletops. I have a campaign book with the orders of battle and small maps of the areas. I have started to create the maps for the game using the drawing tools in Microsoft Excel. I use this tool because it enables me to add positions of troops later and to annotate the map using the “comments” function. Also I can keep all the maps, orders of battle, timelines and notes in one editable file.
Here is a sample map, gridded in 1 foot squares for the players and hexagons for me.