Market Garden:terrain modelling

This evening I have been transferring, in the dark, terrain hexagons between ManCave2 (storage and preparation) and ManCave1 (playing area).  However, it appears that I am not able to make the necessary terrain (a 3 hex wide river) without some further modelling.

Effectively I need 22 hexagons with a river covering about 80% of the hex but grassy banks on one point.

Back to ManCave2 to reconfigure several of my former English Channel hex tiles…

Different approaches to wargaming

i was recently able to take a brief look at Chris Kemp’s model collection and how he organises it . See http://www.notquitemechanised.com

Chris has set his battle scale at (I believe) 1 unit/base =1 battalion.  My basic scale is 1 strategic unit = 1 battalion, and 1 tactical gaming unit is the company of 2-4 platoon bases.

But there is still so much that all wargamers can learn from each other’s gaming methods.  If I have taken nothing else from Chris’s collection, I have learned about how to box and categorise units.  With my gaming method I do not have the luxury of identifying each individual unit, but I can at least store and label units as “Rifles, MG, Mortars, HQ, AT”, etc., with their nationality and type (Para, Regular, SS, Mountain, Commando) and so on included.  In one box I can store 12 platoons or 16 vehicles.  I am finding this is a great way to proceed.

in the same way, small terrain may be stored.

Between battles

Here is my game board after storing the houses, trees and other super-surface elements, and following deconstruction of the hexagonal tile gaming surface.

Terrain tiles are sorted by type and ready to return to their “Really Useful Boxes”, which will be sorted and organised one day.

Yesterday it looked like this:

And very soon it will represent open farmland, heath and woods with a major road, several minor roads and a railway junction.

I am getting really organised for the future, viz:

These plastic playing card boxes, combined with larger storage boxes, have revolutionised my 6mm game storage.

Arnhem battlefield construction

Arnhem battlefield construction

Work continues on my table for the next engagement at Arnhem.  Here is the basic layout on a grid of 11 x 9 hexagons on a 4ft x 3ft board.

There is a lot of built-up area here.  The city hexagons are plain Kallistra tiles, most of which are sprayed with a stone effect aerosol paint.  Some are my previous method of covering with printed adhesive  paper or vinyl labels.

The roads are Noch Z scale self-adhesive cobbled road, except in the country where I generally use painted glass paper cut to fit.  They represent the major thoroughfares shown on the master campaign map.  When gaming the player can use the city roads for faster movement by sacrificing the protection offered by city areas.

Railway lines are from Leven Miniatures, cut and shaped to fit the hexagons.  They are made from very brittle resin, so a great deal of swearing goes on during the cutting/shattering process.

The three swamp hexagons represent flooded polder.  One is a home-made effect, the other two are as bought from Kallistra, but with the blue plastic painted dark muddy blue and covered in diluted PVA glue.

All the grey tiles, including the four inverted blue tiles currently sitting in for more stone-painted tiles drying in the shed, must be covered in “6mm” buildings and ruins.  All of the green area to the right of the railway will be heavily wooded.  While writing I noticed two more tiles are needed at the far right side of the board.

Watch this space for progress. Continue reading Arnhem battlefield construction

Market Garden terrain building

Setting up the latest scenario for Operation Market Garden.

As usual, despite owning several hundred Kallistra hexagon tiles, some of those required for this battle are not yet in the collection.

This scenario, set within Arnhem and to the north of the road bridge, requires more city hexagons than I have used in any previous game, so I had to buy a new can of “stone” spray paint from B&Q.

The chances of spray painting the tiles today are slim as we are currently experiencing the first decent rain for about six months.

However, I have been able to start work on the railroad crossing.  My other crossings are all in the wrong direction!.

Rail crossing hex in preparation

Railway sections from Leven Miniatures are glued to a Kallistra flocked hexagon tile, after wetting and scraping away the central section for the road bed.

The ends will be carefully sawed off, and then a Noch roadway applied across the appropriate diagonal.

Then the tile will be painted and detailed, maybe with fences and gates -we shall see what develops.

Market Garden: First Contact

An ACW Excursion

Feeling the need to get away from painting and preparation for a day or so and to actually play a game with stuff that I already have prepared, and coincidentally next in my project list, I have played a solo game from “Battle Cry”, the American Civil War board game, transferred to a 4ft x 3ft table with 4″ Kallistra hexagons and 6mm figures from Irregular Miniatures.

Here is the battle report in Word and PDF formats.

Battle Cry Bull Run (Word)

Battle Cry Bull Run (PDF)

This was a fun game – with “game” being the overriding objective for some light relief.