Today, despite being well into the second half of July, is dull and drizzly, following spectacular thunderstorms last night.
So I am confined indoors and catching up with several domestic and wargaming tasks.
I was inspired after listening to the latest Meeples and Miniatures podcast and after our recent fire to start documenting my wargame collection for insurance purposes. It will be a long task. It took me a week to collate from memory and photographs what we lost when the two sheds burned down.
This is a BBC drama series screened between 1983 and 1985, like a sort of 1640s “Downton Abbey” which coincided with my early years of English Civil War reenactment, and later episodes included some of my oldest – and in some cases sadly departed – friends as “supporting talent”. The DVD series was released by the BBC in 2004.
Then I turned to some figure painting, namely the 1790s 6mm MDF soldiers from Commission Figurines. These little “toy soldier” style figures are a little fragile, and because I expect them to be handled by small people I glue them in ranks of 3 to form blocks.
During the course of this I managed to drop a paint pot lid onto the beige carpet. I hope that after some immediate panic action and a steam cleaner I have (almost) got away with it. Time for a second application of carpet cleaner now before the Memsahib sees it.
And it’s still only 1:30pm! Plenty of time for more catastrophes before bedtime.
Following the surprising amount of interest in my recent code-breaking activity publicised by the BBC and the Daily Telegraph, here is a little background.
Some years ago I was invited to take part in a historical event held at Mont Orgueil Castle in Jersey. My character for the week was to be the spymaster Philippe d’Auvergne. I was provided with a small look-out post at the top of the tower and a telescope. The weather was not the best and I decided to restrict my outdoor forays to a minimum, and prepared instead to display period code-breaking activities based on the story of George Scovell, who cracked the code used by Napoleon’s armies in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular War. For the benefit of visiting youngsters a set of simple cyphers was prepared for them to try their skill.
First I needed some coded documents. I wrote a computer program that would mimic the French coding system. The basis of the coding was that a single letter could be represented by up to half a dozen numbers of one, two or three digits. A number could also represent an entire word or group of commonly used letters forming part of a word.
I found some historical reports from the period in French and fed them into the program without reading them first. All I knew was the subject matter of the reports. I armed myself with pens, pencils, a notebook and an original 1791 French/English dictionary, as seen here:
Over the course of four days I managed to decode and translate one long document of about two pages and parts of several shorter ones that I used as cross-references. Sadly I have not been able to find any of the documents, but here from my notebook is a sample of my working:
I found this a most satisfying exercise, and I have recently used the same coding in my Peninsular War wargame campaign where the players requested messages to be in code.