More painting and printing

Today, apart from spending over an hour sitting in the doctor’s waiting room for an appointment that was “running 16 minutes late”, I have managed to do a bit more painting.
Today’s colour was Vallejo 70.875 Beige Brown.

Although I like Vallejo paints as a medium, I do not like the way they are bottled. Whenever possible I decant them into old Coat d’Arms pots.

Anyway, this previously decanted paint was applied to:
Irregular Miniatures 2mm “Tiny Town” roads for my “Bomber” project,
Some of the tree trunks on my 3d printed outline woodland for gridded wargames,
House fronts for 3d printed outline BUA for gridded games.
6mm Zulu huts,
6mm Zulu Krall, touching up bare patches of ground,
6mm ex-Confederates, overpainted to become more variegated civilian clothing and hats,
6mm mediaeval crossbowmen, leather jerkins.

DSCF0004

Returning indoors from the Shedquarters I found that I need more printed counters for my play by e-mail Market Garden campaign. This time it’s British glider-borne infantry and artillery. So an hour or so at the PC and they are ready to be stuck onto the plastic counters.

DSCF0005

I foresee an evening of cutting and sticking as we catch up with series 1 of the BBC drama “Line of Fire” on TV.

Mostly about painting

Today has seen quite a lot of time in the “shedquarters” catching up with painting.

I have been using my method of taking the next available pot of paint from my paint box and using it to catch up with the various projects “on the go”.
And so…
1. Coat d’Arms 509 Brick Red.
Added to the 3d printed outline townscapes for my 6mm grid games based on Bob Corderoy’s rules.
Added to the Irregular Miniatures “2mm” towns which I intend to use for my “Bomber” game (of which more below).
Base-coated some 6mm cattle – actual colour to be researched later.
Re-painted some hats, coats and trousers of 6mm Confederates to convert them into local militia for my fictitious 1879 game.

2. Coat d’Arms ??? Slate Grey.
Added several roofs to my IM tiny towns for “Bomber”.
Several boxes for a defensive 6mm Zulu War situation.
Tweaked the 6mm Confederates further to become civilian militia.
Added hair and whiskers to a 28mm Victorian General.
6mm medieval artillery woodwork.

3. Citadel Enchanted Blue (Gosh – that’s an old bottle!)
1 pair “Brand New” ACW Union infantry trousers in 20mm.
1 house for the 6mm outline town for a square grid battle game.
6mm Medieval Gunner tunics.

4. Coat d’Arms 505 Green Grey
More tweaking of 6mm Confederates to make 1879 civilian militia.
6mm “Zulu” British defense boxes.
6mm grid game outline tree trunks.
6mm grid game outline buildings.
6mm medieval crossbowmen breeches.

5. Coat d’Arms 107 Bright Gold
20mm ACW Colour pole finials.

6. Coat d’Arms 517 Dessert (sic) Yellow.
Bases for 2mm Colonial troop blocks.

7. Coat d’Arms 406 Muddy green
Bases for 6mm infantry of 1700 period.

—————–

I also made a start on the comprehensive illustrated rules for my WW2 “Bomber” game, representing an RAF night attack on Germany in 1943. I have written the basics of the game, up to the point when the first aircraft takes off.

1/600 Forests

As part of my Operation Sealion campaign, the latest battle calls for 39 hexagons of fir tree forest.

Because of the number of units involved in this engagement I decided to play it in 3mm or 1/600 scale.

And so I began my forest construction.  My first priority is playability and my second is that it should look reasonably realistic.  In my terrain design I had to allow for the insertion of WW2 bases of 15 x 10 mm and earlier (2mm) periods of 60 x 5 mm.

The first step was to use my hexagon tiles bought from Warbases, and then to add trees purchased from Busch.  Many of the Busch trees were far too large for my game, so I adapted them.  The first step was to cut the top half from the tree and use it as a separate tree.  The remainder was trimmed with scissors to form a second tree. Then the trunk  was cut to the minimum level to facilitate glue adhesion.   Occasionally a brush of dark green paint to the exposed wire on the top of the cut down tree was needed, after the trees were attached using a large dollop of “very sticky glue”, available from “The Works” or “Hobbycraft” in the UK.

3mm-forest-models-01

This photo shows: a Warbases hexagon base, two bases after painting with Basetex, a small tree and a large tree, the large tree separated into two, and finally the two trees made from one large tree ready to affix.

And here is a view of the 39 hexagons drying out on my bookshelf (most of them appallingly out of focus, because the picture is taken with a smartphone).  The out of focus technique prevents fellow gamers from reviewing my book collection and comparing it with their own.

forests-on-bookshelf

I will post a view of the finished battlefield soon.

NB “soon” is a wargamer’s term approximating to the Devon/Cornish term “Directly” or the Spanish “Mañana”.  i.e. “When I get around to it”