I am very glad that I invested in the Perry Miniatures’ game “Travel Battle” just before the current crisis hit us. Their on-line shop is now closed for the foreseeable future.
I now have a way to wargame even in the caravan.
Rewind ten years. In 2010 I was invited to two re-enactment battles, one week, one hundred years and the diagonal distance across Spain apart. I decided to take a week’s caravan holiday, breaking the journey at Salamanca where I rode the battlefield on horseback with a local guide.
During the week overnighting in the caravan I developed a wargame, set in the Napoleonic period, using labeled 13mm square plastic counters on Avalon Hill’s “Squad Leader” game boards.
Fast forward to today. I am now based in the (replacement) caravan for much of my day, thanks to the pandemic disease. I have the “Travel Battle” set, but I want to play a game based on the proposed invasion of Britain in 1940.
I have the full “Travel Battle” set and two spare boards. But choosing two boards by dice roll for the first battle I could already see the potential limitations. I decided:
1. To limit the front to one board width instead of the two boards planned.
2. To create a new board to start the campaign on the landing beach.
I found in the shed some 4mm thick hardboard, which will sit nicely against the Travel Battle boards. I cut a 10” x 10” section and scored it with 1” squares to match the plastic boards. I made some hills and glued them in place.
Unfortunately the hardboard was somewhat warped. This tile will be stored somewhere between heavy objects until it is flat. Then I can try painting it.
I considered ordering some 4mm MDF instead, but then an idea struck me. In my toy cupboard are some textured vinyl floor tiles bought for a along-abandoned gaming project. But they are just under 2mm thick and I needed a board 4mm thick. Aha! Glue them back-to-back, make all the above-ground terrain features moveable and you have a double-sided tile.
I took two tiles, cut them to a 10” x 10” size, scored the squares on (with a slight slip of the ruler at one point) and painted the tile. The tile offcuts were used to make moveable hills.
And so here is the tile for the first battle.
The shade of green does not match the shade I used to paint the plastic boards because I used what I have available. But my “Squad Leader” boards are similarly unmatched. Hey, whatever, it’s a game.
And it’s not just a game. It’s a solo campaign, just when a solo campaign is needed in these unusual times.
A note on terrain features. The trees and walls are from Irregular Miniatures. The hedges are brown modellers’ “pipe cleaners” dipped into basetex “muddy green” paint. The pill box is a hexagonal nut covered in Milliput with MDF walls added.
Stay well, keep safe. Together we will defeat this new enemy.
2 thoughts on “Honey, I shrunk the wargame – part two.”
It’s funny how converting is back in fashion now that the shops are closed. Hey Ho! Nuts for pillboxes are an excellent idea in 6mm.
Not mentioned in the post above, this is 3mm (1/600 scale). Hexagon nuts are a very simple option for pill-boxes at this size.