So what have I been up to since the last blog post?
Market Garden campaign.
More US paratroops from GHQ , Adler and Irregular Miniatures have been painted. The Irregular Miniatures chaps were in stock awaiting painting and must suffice as infill for the numbers needed for my next battle, but will be replaced by more identifiable models as and when I have time.
I have also been painting and dipping many new vehicles for the Guards Armoured Division, in preparation for the next campaign game in the queue. They now await final detail and a flat varnish.
WW2 – the whole war.
I have both initial forces ready for 4th September 1939 – the Polish counterattack. Terrain hexes are listed and need to be dug out of the stock, in preparation for the battle, when the Market Garden engagement is over.
Some potential reinforcements on the German side need to be based and (re)painted.
Operation Sealion 1940
Although I halted the play-by-email campaign, the project is still viable for the future. I found in the attic the 00 gauge model electricity pylon kits that I intended to convert into a Chain Home radar station in 1/285, and so started work.
I have prepared and printed the labels for counters to play the battle of Chatterton’s Hill using Richard Borg’s “Battle Cry” ACW boards and adapted hex-based “Black Powder” rules.
ECW table-top for youngsters.
Yesterday I play-tested and tweaked my 3rd edition rules for the card table and 20mm plastic soldier battle game that I designed for the under-12s in our cavalry re-enactment group, but which has since been embraced by the “grown-ups” too.
Over the August Bank Holiday we intend to run a “knock-out” competition.
French Revolutionary wars
In my guise as a “Pensionnaire des Invalides” at re-enactments I use the same card table with wooden models to replay whatever battle we happen to be at. Although my models consist if several strips of MDF figures glued together as blocks, I think they suffice. I have been painting the basic white fronts to French infantry. More detail will be applied later.
I have a biscuit tin full of plastic 20mm board game figures based for “Black Powder” games. I used them earlier this year to teach myself the rules. Now I need to give them at least a basic paint job, probably in high gloss as “toy soldiers”. I started, simply because the paint pot was to hand, with the cardboard bases.
Life in General.
Having failed to find out why Facebook no longer removes the “unread” markers from posts, I have closed my account and regained at least one hour each day for more useful purposes, including this blog.
I have also been to my local NHS practice (only took 6 weeks to secure an appointment) to discover from the X-ray results of two months ago that the degenerative bone disease that has previously taken both my hips (or something very similar) is now in my spine. Next steps: fill in a form (of course), then I may be allocated to an osteopath, a chyropracter or an accupuncturist for further mucking about with my body, according to the will of the NHS.
Meanwhile, on the wargaming front, sitting and painting is painful; standing and pushing models about is painful; sitting before a computer is painful. So everything will be done in small doses.
And at the end of the month I intend to drive with a caravan from Hampshire to Northumberland and back (with an intemediate stay!). This will definitely be carried out in small doses!